We are often asked, “Should I mow my lawn after you spray?” Which is a great question. There are a few things [Read More...]
How important is mowing?
Mowing is extremely important and is just as big a part of effective weed control as the products we apply and the water it receives. Mowing causes the grass to become thicker and healthier which in itself helps “choke out” weeds. Each time the top of the grass is cut off the grass tries to grow more laterally to compensate which is why mowing makes your lawn thicker.
When can I mow after an application has been made?
We recommend waiting one or two days after an application before you mow. It is better to water a day before mowing. This allows the fertilizer to dissolve. We do not recommend bagging the clippings. There are a lot of nutrients and organic matter that is very beneficial for the soil. Remember, summer applications need water more than others.
What are suggested mowing heights?
- Bermuda : 2 to 3 ½ inches
- Fine fescue: 1 to 2 ½ inches
- Tall fescue: 3 to 4 inches
Do you have any mowing tips to help me mow better?
- Keep the mower blades sharp; dull mower blades rip grass apart instead of cutting and will take away from the green color. It also makes your grass more susceptible to disease.
- Never cut more than 1/3 of the grass blade at a mowing.
- If the grass is too high, reduce its height a little at a time.
- Remove clippings if they are sitting on top of the grass.
- Mow when the grass is dry.
- First Mowing- It is best to cut your lawn as low as possible without hitting the soil level and also bag it. This removes excess grass clippings that have collected during the winter months and allows the sunlight to penetrate the roots evenly across your lawn which will give you a more even green-up.
- Last Cutting- Either cut your lawn at its regular height or allow it to grow a little higher for the last mowing. This provides a security blanket to help insulate the roots going into the winter months.
- Mulching vs. Bagging- Mulching returns nutrients back to the soil. Bagging should only be done to keep excess grass clippings from smothering the turf.
For professional lawn mowing in TN, call Southern Lawn and Pest at 901-476-8188.
For Educational Purpose Only
This page is for educational purpose only. Southern Lawn & Pest. is not responsible for damages or death to plants due to usage of this information. It is to be used as a general guideline which vary depending on the geographic region you live in, so results will vary from region to region. Remember, the best way to protect your investment is to seek professional advice for your lawn.